The positive impact of Iowa’s gaming industry is vast and far reaching. In addition to providing employment for thousands of Iowans and generating hundreds of millions of dollars in indirect economic development boosts from the hotel and dining industries, IGA members contribute hundreds of millions of dollars annually in city, county and state taxes. These monies fund a diversity of projects such as Vision Iowa, public schools throughout the state, numerous environmental and municipal initiatives and other projects.
IGA Members Quick Facts
- Generated nearly $1 billion for Iowa's economy in 2011.
- Purchase nearly $240 million of products and services from Iowa-based businesses through the Buy Iowa First Program. In fact, over 87% of the total expenditure by casinos on products,supplies and services went to Iowa-based vendors.
- Pay nearly $392 million in local, county and state taxes every year. State tax revenue funds a variety of significant projects, including the renovation and building of Iowa's Capitol Complex, school infrastructure and teacher salaries, Vision Iowa, historic preservation, state and county fairs, school and university improvements and numerous environmental initiatives and programs.
- Fund thousands of charitable requests. Over $84 million was paid in charitable contributions and donations to the non profit license holder, or contributed to the city or county projects, such as community tourism, Iowa Battle Flags, libraries, public safety and defense, biorenewable and biomedical hygienic laboratories, and much more.
- Employ nearly 9,500 people, with an annual payroll of more than $282 million.
- Add value to our state's growing tourism and entertainment industries with exceptional convention and hotel facilities, hosting over 22 million visitors each year.
- Support Iowa's agricultural industry by purchasing millions of pounds of beef, chicken and turkey, thousands of gallons of milk and several million eggs. Each member provides a detailed breakdown of the property's agricultural commodity purchases.
- Commit to responsible gaming. Opposes under-age and intoxicated gambling, as well as unregulated and unauthorized forms of gambling. IGA members support having a premiere program for gambling treatment, prevention and outreach programs.
"Gaming Benefits Iowa" Series
The IGA's "Gaming Benefits Iowa" series was created from 2004 - 2008 to offer a detailed look at the different programs and facets of the state that benefit from gaming tax revenues. Each of the four pieces explored a specific area that has received significant support from gaming dollars. These include: environmental programs, Rebuilding Iowa's Infrastructure projects, Healthy Iowans initiatives, and Vision Iowa and Community Attraction and Tourism grants. Below are the links to the old reports. We continue to provide this information on the Appropriation of State Taxes